View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
[Dev-Blog] Announcing... 

Post [Dev-Blog] Announcing...

Hi there! Welcome to the Project Retrograde forums :). This has been a long time coming, but now we’re finally announcing this project to the masses. You may have heard me mentioning blurbs about a design doc here and there on twitter or my other blog. Well, this is the project that design doc is being created for. This dev-blog will be a place for the team to post updates and screenshots and all sorts of good things. Go ahead and bookmark us! You know you want to ;)

So what is Project Retrograde? That's a great question! Almost two years ago I began drafting some ideas for a brand-new game. The overall goals of which were to create something that looked, felt, sounded, and played like many of my favorite games back in the 1990's. That is to say, to create a game that focused on fast-paced and simple-but-deep gameplay without focusing on realism or graphical fidelity. While details are still in flux at this moment in time, what we're pretty solid on so far is that it's going to be a first-person or third-person shooter that takes elements from 90's shooter games as well as more arcade shoot 'em up elements. We want to create a shooter experience that is not your average modern shooter, but something that is familiar while still fresh and creative. That's all I can say about it right now, but I'm sure we'll end up leaking details here and there as we continue to make progress.

Project Retrograde is more than just a game though. It is also an attempt by us to create a modder friendly environment. It's our belief that making a game that is modder friendly is the best way to extend the lifetime of a game as well as the best way to get other people interested in game development and design. We are hoping to create our own tools, editors, and possibly even an engine in order to help facilitate a smooth and rich modding community!

My number one goal behind this project is to make something that is good enough to be sold for a modest profit. If that works out, we're looking to start an indie game design company in which we make even more games! If we're going to fulfill this goal however, it is going to take a lot of hard work as well as input and support from the community.

So what's the deal with the name? Retrograde is the opposite of Retrofit. When you Retrofit something, you take something old and bring it up to more modern standards. An example would be many older games getting "source ports" to allow them to play on newer hardware and to extend their features. On the flip side, when you Retrograde something, you start with something new and make it into a "classic". Project Retrograde is a game that is purposefully taken back to a familiar point in time where today's standards of sameness haven't yet solidified, and anything is still possible.

And that's just the very basic outline of Project Retrograde so far! Our team has been slowly but surely building up ideas and concepts to then form them into a cohesive and full game. Which we think will be unique and, hopefully, a lot of fun to play and mod for!

I couldn't have gotten this far on my own, obviously. So who's on the team you ask?

• Brett "Mechadon" Harrell - Creative Lead / Mechanized Tyrannical Overlord
  • James "Jimmy91" Paddock - Music Composer / Administrator
  • Tim "VortexCortex" Landers - Programmer / Webmaster

So far both Jimmy and VortexCortex have been a massive, massive help in getting this project off the ground. I'd like to take this time and say a thank-you for all of there efforts thus far. *Ahem*

THANKS GUYS, YOU ROCK!

While we're still working on the design doc and other things, we will be looking for future team members in the foreseeable future. I'll likely add a "Help Wanted" page sometime soon. But until then, if your interested in joining such a team, don't hesitate to send us a message! Be sure to register at our forums and/or subscribe to the blog for further Project Retrograde updates.

This is a re-post of the dev-blog annoucement which you can find here. Also be sure to read the Forum rules, guidelines, and FAQs before posting. Thanks :D

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]