View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Vela Pax 

Post Re: Vela Pax -- Back to work, slave!
Did you guys get a chance to run through the maps? I thought I would be out of commission longer than I was, but thankfully Newegg ships stuff really quickly (and it only had to travel a few states to get to me, heh). No worries if you guys didn't, I'm going to do this new release pretty soon anyways so its done and I can stop thinking about it :P

Edward850 was looking into a way to build REJECT lumps for the maps to possibly help with lag. I'm waiting to hear back from him, but that's basically the only thing that's holding me back from this new public release at this point. If we can all get together soon and do COOP runs before everyone gets busy with real-life again, that would be awesome and make me feel a little bit better about this next public release. I have a few things going on this week, but I should be relatively free for the most part. If either of you think it could be a possibility, let me know and I'll hop in chat.

Also, regarding the weapon sprites thing I mentioned; I don't want to make completely new sprites, I was just going to do edits of the vanilla sprites. I wasn't sure if you would be interested or available to help me out with that Cage, but I thought I'd just ask :)

Also also, I worked a bit on MAP04 today and realized that I'm already at 80K sidedefs, which is a bit nuts. I had a lot of layout planning left and I don't think its all going to fit. So my original plans are going to be scaled back a bit in the hopes that I can stay under the limit. That means the map is a lot farther along now, probably somewhere around 80%~ish. If I can actually finish that map before the end of Summer, it's going to feel great :cool:

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:02 pm
Profile WWW

One year later, a new post!

A few days ago I decided that I wanted to attempt some weapon fraken-sprites before doing some Supplice mapping. So far I've managed a Plasma Rifle, RL, Shottie, and SSG. I've been trying something for the BFG, but so far I haven't had any luck.

I'm planning on doing another public release soon after fixing a particularly nasty bug in MAP01, and I thought including the weapon sprites in it would be a nice touch. But soon after I had that thought, I got a bit apprehensive because I wasn't sure if the sprites were actually good enough for release. So I want to show them off for you guys here in the hopes that you guys can give me a bit of feedback.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Cage will recognize the shotguns I'm sure :P. I tried to tweak them so they would look a bit more like the vanilla shotguns by adding the vanilla wood and tweaking the metal to look a bit more dark. I tried to get a bit fancier with the SSG by adding some chrome tips on the breach, along with a few extra small details. I feel like I might have butchered the shading on both shotguns though, particularly the metaly bits.

The Rocket Launcher is a simple fusion of the Doom 64 muzzle "wings" and the vanilla sprite. I like the D64 launcher better than the vanilla one, particuarly because of the little wing thingys on it...it gives it a bit more character on a simple tube design. After seeing it in game, I think that maybe the center wing needs to be pushed back a bit more...but what do yo guys think?

The Plasma Gun is the one sprite here I probably spent the most time on. It's actually [partially] from an old Sabbat Martyr II sprite that never saw the light of day, frakensteined with bits and pieces of alpha Doom sprites and the original plasma gun. I'm mainly worried about the "lift" sprite here, because I had to hand-draw over half of the metal rods. What you see is the best I could do after 5 or 6 hours of frustration...I thought it looked decent enough to use, but I'm still not sure if its really good enough.

Finally I posted my working image for the BFG I've been fiddling with for the past couple of days. I had a few ideas at first, but I think I've settled on making it somewhat match the current plasma gun details by incorporating those metal ribs/vents into the design. So my base at the moment is the sprite located center-right. I'm having trouble making it look wide enough (because I want to retain that that big, bulky feel of the original). If you guys have any thoughts here, I would appreciate it :)

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Team Supplice

Hey, not a bad job! I like everything except for the plasma reload frame. I think the BFG works actually very well with the D64 BFG front. The transparent tube could work with it too maybe?

Hopefully I'll have some free time to do it, since I'd like to help you clean it out a little. The sight on the D64 shotgun is most terrible and I should be ashamed of it :D

Also the plasma pickup might be a little too small and the bfg one too big.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Hey thanks man, that means a lot coming from you :).

Definitely agreed with you on the plasma reload. I honestly put so many hours into it, but I still wasn't sure if it was good enough to actually release. That whole plasma sprite is based off of an unreleased Sabbat Martyr II weapon sprite that was made for the project. It was actually a replacement for the Railgun and was based off of the Smart-Gun sprite from the Aliens TC. So it had that angled-back frame that worked well for a plasma replacement. The problem was that the original sprite is more of a tube...it was relatively easy to edit for the idle and firing frames, but widening it for the reload frame was really difficult.

By the way, that D64 BFG edit isn't actually my work :P (same goes for that big pickup sprite). It was a sprite set I stumbled on and I was using it for ideas and for reference. I do like that D64/vanilla hybrid sprite...I like the extra bulk it adds to the weapon. What I was going to attempt to do is make something sort of like that, but with the same metal rings/vents so they kind of match up (what you see to the below/right of that is what I was working on). I haven't had a chance to work on it anymore this week though.

I really like your D64 shotgun animations by the way! I hope I didn't butcher them too much. I did notice that sight on the shotgun was a little off second reload frame. But it was beyond my skill to do much with it, so I just left it :P

I will fiddle with the plasma pickup a bit and see if I can make it a bit bigger. I'm not a big fan of how I did the muzzle anyways.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 pm
Profile WWW

I spent some time last night working on the BFG frakensprite (as well as doing a bit of mapping and extra sprite work), and I think I finished something that I like.

What do you guys think? I also updated the Rocket Launcher so the middle flap is further back. And the Plasma Gun pickup is now a bit bigger.

I know your super busy already working on a bunch of things Cage, but do you think you could help me out with the Plasma lift frame and the shotguns? I fiddled a bit with them last night, but gave up pretty quickly :P. If I can get those looking good, then that'll cover all of the weapon-related sprites that I wanted to do.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18